Los Angeles | November 6, 2023 – In November 2023, Google unleashed a significant core update that sent shockwaves through the SEO community. This update, which commenced its rollout on November 2nd, caught many by surprise, especially coming so shortly after the October 2023 core update. What’s even more astonishing is the impact it’s having, which seems to surpass its predecessor.
While the exact specifics of this update remain shrouded in mystery, the observations and experiences shared by various experts and webmasters tell an intriguing story. The most notable common thread in these conversations is the substantial fluctuations witnessed across websites. Some are grappling with declining rankings, while others are rejoicing in unexpected gains. The effects of this update seem to manifest in diverse and unpredictable ways.
In the absence of official statements from industry insiders, it’s evident that webmasters are wrestling with the consequences of this core update. For instance, some are noticing a decline in parasite SEO sites, hinting that Google’s algorithm may have honed in on and penalized them. Meanwhile, others are lamenting the sudden drop in crucial keywords, just as the holiday shopping season is about to kick off, sparking concerns about their site’s long-term performance.
The mixed reactions from webmasters and SEO experts underscore the uncertainty surrounding this core update. While some websites are basking in boosted traffic and enhanced visibility, others are grappling with significant declines. This inconsistency in outcomes only adds to the overall confusion and frustration experienced by those affected.
As the rollout of this update progresses, webmasters are keeping a vigilant eye on their websites’ performance and search rankings. It remains to be seen whether the initial impressions of the November 2023 core update will hold true or if further adjustments will be made. The SEO community eagerly anticipates more clarity and stability in the wake of this highly tumultuous Google algorithm update.
Latest Google Broad Core Algorithm Updates
- November 2023 Core Update
- October 2023 Core Update
- August 2023 Core Update
- March 2023 Core Update
- September 2022 Core Update
- May 2022 Core Update
Google recently released a blog post featuring a Q&A session that delves into the details of their latest Google Search updates. On the very day this significant core update was unveiled, they shared valuable insights. Let’s explore three key takeaways from this informative session.
“Why another so soon after the October 2023 core update? We have different systems that are considered core to our ranking process; this month’s core update involves an improvement to a different core system than last month. However, our guidance about core updates is the same for both.”
“We expect an update to our reviews system to start rolling out next week. That will also mark a point when we’ll no longer be giving periodic notifications of improvements to our reviews system, because they will be happening at a regular and ongoing pace. We’ll be updating our page about the system to reflect this; we’ll also update that page if the system evolves in some notable way, such as covering more languages. Those who do reviews should read our guidance and stay focused on that over time.”
“We do try to avoid having updates during the late-November to mid-December period when possible. But it’s not always possible. If we have updates that can improve Search, that have been developed over the course of several months, we release them when they’re ready.”
Indicators to Observe
- Analyze organic traffic patterns, particularly non-branded traffic, through Google Search Console.
- Monitor ranking fluctuations and search visibility for high-intent keywords using tools like Semrush, Ahrefs, or similar platforms. Look for both upward and downward movements in your website content rankings.
- Keep a vigilant watch on your most valuable SERPs. Be on the lookout for any alterations in content rankings following the update.
- Examine URL indexation trends using Google Search Console.
Actions to Take
- Investigate whether slow page speed or a decrease in E-A-T (Expertise, Authoritativeness, Trustworthiness) of your URLs may be contributing to drops in traffic.
- Ensure that no high-performing content pieces have been inadvertently removed, impacting your organic search traffic.
- Confirm that your previously traffic-generating content is still indexed and accessible.
- Assess whether substantial changes have been made to your website’s structure or semantic HTML.
- Prune or enhance unhelpful or duplicate pages within your content.
- Continuously monitor and track the modifications applied to your website.
- Keep an eye on the evolving relevance and perceived intent of keywords related to your content.
The November 2023 Core Update by Google represents a pivotal moment for SEO experts and website proprietors. Embracing the transformative alterations introduced in this update and harmonizing your approach with Google’s ever-evolving standards is not just a means to preserve your search engine rankings but also a path to enhance them. Now is the moment to give precedence to user satisfaction, top-tier content, and expertise, authority, and trust (E-A-T). By staying at the forefront of these developments, your website will undoubtedly reap significant benefits.