You may be surprised to learn that Woocommerce is not only the most popular eCommerce platform on the web but also one of the oldest. Woocommerce was founded in 2001, and since then, it has become the go-to eCommerce solution for small businesses and entrepreneurs around the world.
Here are 15 surprising facts about Woocommerce that you may not know:
- WooCommerce is a fork of the Jigoshop eCommerce plugin for WordPress.
- The first version of WooCommerce was released on September 27, 2011.
- Since its inception, WooCommerce has been downloaded over 20 million times.
- 22% of all online stores use WooCommerce as their eCommerce platform.
- 46% of all WordPress sites using eCommerce technology are powered by WooCommerce.
- Currently, there are over 300 official extensions available for WooCommerce.
- Integrating a payment gateway with WooCommerce is very easy and can be done with just a few clicks.
- Thanks to its flexibility, WooCommerce can be used to sell physical goods, digital products, or even subscription-based products and services.
- Unlike some other eCommerce platforms, there are no transaction fees when using WooCommerce – you only pay the fees charged by your chosen payment gateway.
- Setting up an online store with WooCommerce is very easy and can be done in less than an hour.
- Thanks to its popularity, there is a huge community of developers and designers who are familiar with WooCommerce and can help with customizations and integrations.
- Because WooCommerce is open-source software, it is constantly being improved by developers around the world.
- One of the best things about WooCommerce is that it’s highly customizable – if you know how to code, you can make it look and work however you want.
- While WooCommerce itself is free to download and use, you will need to pay for extensions, hosting, and a domain name if you want to set up a fully-fledged online store.
- WooCommerce is used by some big names including CBS sitcoms How I Met Your Mother and Two Broke Girls, as well as Xero accounting software.
As you can see, there are many reasons why Woocommerce is the most popular eCommerce solution for small businesses and entrepreneurs around the world. Thanks to its flexibility, ease of use, and low cost, it’s easy to see why Woocommerce continues to grow in popularity year after year. If you’re thinking about setting up an online store, Woocommerce should be at the top of your list!
Let us generate leads and grow your business.
Get a Free Consultation for Our Los Angeles SEO and WordPress Support Services.